Frequently Asked Questions

Have insurance related questions? First State Agency is here to help. Still have additional questions after reading this page? Contact us and let us know what questions you still need answered.

  1. Does my credit score impact my premium?

    No it does not impact your credit score, and is considered a soft hit.

  2. Will filing a claim make my insurance rates go up?

    Potentially. There are a lot of factors with increase in premium. Rates can be effected by the type of claim. It is better to talk to your independent agent about your options, and the insurance coverage you currently have to make the best decision for you.

  3.  Should I buy my policy through a carrier or go to an independent agent?

    Going through an independent insurance agency gives you the flexibility to shop other carriers, as well as get hands on Customer Service from a local agent.

  4. Should I get a home and auto insurance package through the same carrier?

    Depends if the savings are there with the Multi-policy Discount. Sometimes it is cheaper to have your Home with one carrier and your auto with another. Going to an independent agent gives you that option.

  5. Will my auto insurance cover me if I get a rental?

    If you currently have full coverage on your automobile, your insurance will cover your rental, subject to deductible.

  6. What does a personal umbrella policy cover?

    It covers your Home and Auto and any other property of vehicle you have covered about what your current liability is. Most carriers require a minimum liability limit in order to qualify for an umbrella policy.

  7. If I start a business in my home will my homeowners policy cover it?

    No, it will not, and in fact, some personal lines will not continue to cover your home on the personal side if you have a Business in your house. It is best to talk to your independent agent about a case like this.

  8. What is the difference between general and professional liability insurance for my business?

    General liability protects against physical injury to people or damage to property arising from your daily operations. Professional liability covers negligence related to professional services or advise.

  9. What insurance coverage do I need for my small business?

    It depends on the type of business you have. General liability, personal property, inland marine, professional liability, car coverage, this is just a few options for coverage for a small business. Please contact First State Agency to talk about your specific Small business insurance needs.

First State Agency logo